My name is Danielle and I created this recipe to help my family eat more healthy, especially since we are on a low carb lifestyle now. We love this recipe because it is so easy to make and taste fantastic. It is also a great way to use up leftover chicken that you have in the freezer.
Do you fancy Italian food?
As winter sets in, I reach for keto comfort food for cold days, and there’s nothing like a spicy keto casserole for dinner to really warm you up. This keto Italian casserole brings a flavor your whole family will love, and it’s low-carb too!
A pizza party with a twist!
There’s nothing I love more than a delicious slice of pizza, and this Italian keto casserole provides the flavor by leaving out the crust and keeping the carbs low. While we have some great keto pizza recipes if you want to go the traditional route, this pan is so easy to make and bake – you won’t even miss the crust. It’s always a hit with my family, plus the chicken has protein and is very savory!
Tips for making the best keto Italian casserole:
- I recommend pre-cooking the chicken cubes. The first time I made this dish, I tried to put everything in the skillet and there was too much liquid in the chicken.
- Are you in a hurry to get dinner ready? I sometimes use shredded chicken for recipes like this and it works great! I like to buy camel chickens at Costco and Sam’s to save time. You can also make a stack using the cook and shred method we used for our infamous chicken broccoli cheese casserole.
- Add all your favorite pizza toppings like olives, vegetables, different cheeses and meats for an even heartier dinner.
- Do you have the best vegetable slicer in your hands yet? My favorite kitchen tool, the Fullstar chopper, saves me a lot of time chopping vegetables.
Italian keto pan
.. : 5 SERIES
Preparation time: 15 MINUTES
Cooking time: 45 MINUTES
Total time : 60 MINUTES
A tasty Italian keto pizza casserole with chicken, cheese, pepperoni and low-carb sauce.
- 3 pounds of chicken breast (about 4 chicken breasts), cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 24 oz. Can of low sugar marinara (I used Rao’s Italian Marinara).
- 20 slices of red pepper
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2-3 bags of shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Place the cubed chicken, olive oil, oregano, black pepper, salt and garlic powder in a mixing bowl. Stir until chicken is completely coated with spices.
Place the seasoned chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until the chicken is no longer pink on all sides. This will take about 15 minutes. Strain the chicken to remove excess moisture.
Place the cooked chicken in a 9×13 baking dish. Pour in the marinara sauce and brush over the chicken until covered. Add the hot peppers, red onions and sliced green pepper. You can also add any other favorite keto pizza toppings at this time.
Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top until it is completely covered. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
Yield: 5, serving size: 1
Quantity per serving:
611 calories | 35,2 g fat | 9,0 g total carbohydrate | 1,8 g fibre | 69,6 g protein | 7,2 g net carbs
Dinner is served!
This keto Italian casserole has quickly become one of my main dishes of the week. This is the perfect dish to make ahead of time and put in the oven when you don’t know what to eat. And you can even make a batch to freeze and put in the oven if you want pizza.
To take it a step further, make keto breadsticks to go with your casserole and make a simple salad for a total Italian feast!
My team member Jenna tested this recipe for me, and here’s what she says:
This pan turned out great! It smelled great while cooking and turned into a delicious casserole that my whole family ate! It’s like combining the best pizza ingredients with a perfectly seasoned chicken. I like to season the chicken cubes before searing and adding them to the dish. It gave them a great Italian flavor and they tasted like my favorite Italian restaurant.
Make these easy pizza rolls!