Hummus dominates the appetizer and spread market but garbanzo beans give me gas…which is not comfortable, nor a cute look for a night out. So here we have my favorite bean-free dip! Enjoy it with veggies for a unique appetizer, spread it onto a sandwich or drizzle it atop eggs for a tangy kick to your breakfast taco!
Creamy Bell Pepper Dip
Yields: approximately 2 cups
- 1 large red bell pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- Optional: add 1 tbsp. tahini, use exclusively cashews, top with chopped cilantro
- If too thick: add 1 more tbsp more of your desired liquid. Repeat as necessary.
In food processor, combine ingredients in the following order:
- Nuts, olive oil and lemon. Blend until creamy, even consistency is reached.
- Wash and remove seeds from bell pepper, then add into mixture with garlic and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
- Add nutritional yeast and all spices. Blend until well incorporated, add water 1 tsp at a time if you desire a thinner consistency.
SERVE WITH ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING
- Fresh vegetables (Persian cucumbers, rainbow carrots, radish, sliced chard rolls, cherry tomatoes, etc)
- Roasted cauliflower
- Plantain or beet chips
- Fresh baguette
Images by HonestlyFIT