This FIT version of the popular Japanese seasoning Furikake is guaranteed to elevate any food you put it on. In case you missed it, Furikake is a loose topping whose original mixture combines dried fish, sesame seeds, seaweed, sugar, and salt. Any connoisseur of Furikake will tell you that while delicious, store-bought varieties are heavy on the sugar, which is not ideal from a healthy eating perspective. The HonestlyFIT team developed this vegan, superfood variation of the seasoning last fall and have been eating it non-stop since. Make it once and you won’t look back…honestly!
THE MANY HEALTH BENEFITS OF FIT FURIKAKE
We fully support becoming obsessed with FIT Furikake because almost every ingredient delivers major health benefits. Specific nutrients you can expect include:
- Lignans – Found at their greatest natuaral concentrations in flax and sesame seeds, lignans act as antioxidants in our bodies to help fight disease and regulate blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Essential minerals – Seaweed and hemp hearts supply iodine, iron, calcium, magnesium and manganese which all support healthy bones, brains and metabolic function. The chlorophyll in seaweed is also a major detoxifier and blood purifier.
- Fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, protein and calcium – AKA the things chia, hemp, and flax all have high quantities of. Always keeping them stocked in your cupboard provides a quick and vegan shortcut to essential vitamins and minerals. Their nutrient density is often credited for better hair, nails and skin, and lowering cholesterol, so have at it!
HOW TO PREPARE & ENJOY FIT FURIKAKE
- 5 sheets nori (unflavored)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons golden flax
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (lightly toasted)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Blend the nori sheets in a food processor. Add seeds, salt and sugar. Store in an airtight container.
Images by Todd Wagner for HonestlyFIT