Our Power Couples series highlights wellness and fitness pairings that are way better together / even more potent when combined.
By now we’ve all experienced the wellness world’s hype over turmeric, but it’s easy to miss the health benefit if you don’t consume it properly. Today we break down the two ingredients to mix with your turmeric to maximize it’s health benefit….
Meet turmeric, ginger’s bright orange cousin, known for its health-boosting, cold-busting, inflammation-reducing properties (read more about clinical trials here). Starring in everything from golden lattes to pressed juices to brightening facemasks, turmeric’s wow factor comes from its curcumin content – a super antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
The tricky bit is that curcumin is not readily absorbed by the body (aka has poor bioavailability). Cue black pepper. When taken together, the piperine in black pepper makes it easier for the body to take in the curcumin, and thus reap the benefits. Last, curcumin is also fat soluble, meaning it may be a good idea to consume with health fats.
- Always add fresh black pepper to your turmeric everything
- Try to get some healthy fats in there, too (like coconut oil or MCT)
Turmeric Spiced Latte (aka Golden Milk)
This healing and delicious drink is my go to beverage when I want a warm, satiating pick-me-up without caffeine. To make my life even easier, I keep a small container of the latte spice blend in the kitchen so I can simply scoop and go.
- 1 – 1 ½ cups non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp MCT or coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp collagen
- 1 rounded tsp Spice Blend (see below)
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 packet stevia or coconut sugar to taste
Spice Blend Ingredients (makes 5-7 servings)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tsp turmeric
Combine spices and store in an airtight container.
- In microwave or stove top, heat milk. If you want a deeper flavor with some caffeine, you can use 1 cup of hot black tea with milk.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients. You can pour the hot milk over your spoon with MCT/coconut oil for easier release.
- Mix everything in a high speed blender until frothy and enjoy!
If you’re looking for more turmeric loaded recipes, here are a few of our faves :
As is true with all health regimens and new supplements (even herbal), use common sense and consult your doctor if you are pregnant, have unique health concerns or are taking prescription medications.
Image by HonestlyFIT