Early this morning, for the first time in over 150 years, a total lunar eclipse happened. Called the “Super Blue Blood Moon” it was a trifecta of lunar magic. It was a supermoon because the moon was closer to earth than normal, and a “blue moon” because it’s the second full moon to happen this month, annnnd a blood moon because the Earth’s shadow turned the moon a rust color. All this got me thinking about the wellness rituals associated with astrology and the moon. I knew there were particular ways we’re supposed to focus our energies throughout lunar cycles, but I’d never taken the time to educate myself on those best practices. The research led me to some interesting and practical suggestions that I will definitely be employing over the next few days and full moon cycles! Here are the cliff notes of what I learned…
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF A FULL MOON
- Tons of powerful energy – Full moons are consistently described as times of tremendous energy and emotions pouring onto us. When embraced, the power of the full moon is said to cleanse us of negativity and burden, allowing us to focus on what is important, like compassionate relationships and achieving our goals.
- Four day period every month to be intentional – Approximately once a month there is a full moon, in 2018 there will be 13 total. Many astrologers and wellness experts believe the regularity and intensity of full moons makes it imperative for us be hyper diligent during these times. Although the moon is only technically full on one night, the powerful energy is believed to be present the day before and two days afterwards, meaning we should be conscientious for four days.
- Chance to be better – The general consensus is that we are healthier, more sane and better balanced if we can learn to effectively channel full moon energy into positive and productive actions.
MAKE THE MOST OF A FULL MOON, DO THESE THINGS
The themes of cleanse, calm, love, and energize were abundant in my research on full moon energy. The below list includes a diversity of activities that are aligned with those themes, but really the world is your oyster as long as you choose actions that honor those concepts.
- [love] Practice compassion; avoid fights and confrontation at all costs – MBG explains the importance of staying calm, being kind and practicing forgiveness as a necessity because full moons are “emotional fertilizer. If you can’t let something go and need to communicate it, try to postpone sharing your upset until at least two days after the full moon. Whatever happens at this time is multiplied”. Because the impact of our actions are multiplied
- [calm] Meditate or do some breath work – Try to find some stillness and moments where your mind is not rushing with thoughts and tension. This will create an opportunity for the lunar energy to cleanse and restore you. If you must always be moving, check out these yoga poses for harnessing the moon’s power.
- [energize] Focus on your goals and take action towards realizing them – This can look different for all of us. Options that appeal to me include:
- Complete a task you’ve been putting off.
- Journal about your progress towards long term goals via process goals. You can separate your goals into categories like: selfcare, community, professional, love / partnership, and organization.
- Make a “dream or manifest board” where you use images and text to depict your path to fulfillment.
- [cleanse] Detox – A detoxification of your physical body can complement your meditation and support a mental detox during full moon times. Opt for a sauna, infrared treatment, spa or dietary cleanse (skip booze, cut out animal products, fast, etc) to help your body feel more lightness and relief.
- [cleanse] Purge – Use this moon as an opportunity to shed material or emotional items that no longer serve you or cause you grief. Options include:
- Build a moon fire and burn troublesome possessions. Lisa Stardust suggests, “Stepping into our own power by writing a letter to the universe, stating one’s awesomeness—include your fundamental beliefs, constraints you wish to release, newness wanting to be brought in—then burning this manifesto into ether, will attract a fresh attitude. This is a chance to embrace your inner lioness. Roar to the moon, and show the world who is Queen of the jungle”.
- Clean out your closet and practice love by donating the things you are shedding.
- Declutter and rearrange your bedroom / living spaces according to feng shui principles.
If you’re totally loving this and want to go all in, check out these resources:
- The Moon’s Four Phases (New, Waxing, Full & Waning)
- Horoscopes by the esteemed Chani Nicholas
- Moon Salutations (Yoga)
- My Domaine’s Full Moon Detox
- Astrology Zone Compatibility Guide
Featured image by Fred Espenak