The first real conversation I had about collagen happened last winter over paleo pancakes at Hu Kitchen in Manhattan. My dining date was a self described wellness fanatic, who eagerly educated me on the wonders that collagen powder can do for skin and physical health. Sure I’d seen articles about collagen sprinkled throughout my newsfeed, but I had no idea that the powder was so protein dense, made from beef tissue and virtually tasteless. During our post-meal goodbyes I assured her I’d try it, but didn’t fully get on the collagen train until my esthetician order me to as remedy for my struggling skin. Now I’ve got a favorite brand, and find myself regularly adding it to drinks, smoothies and bowls. The most common way I get my daily dose of collagen is through coffee – making my cup of morning joe even more powerful than before!
- Collagen powder can be made from beef or fish tissue. It’s comprised of long-chain proteins, which our bodies break down into amino acids to support our own collagen production.
- Collagen is important to pay attention to because it impacts the condition of our skin, digestive system, body tissue and joints. The collagen powder we drink is the same structure as what is in our hair, nails, bones, ligaments and tendons.
- The greatest health benefits are realized when collagen is ingested (as opposed to used topically in face creams, etc).
- One 2 tbsp serving of collagen powder delivers 10-11 grams of protein in approximately 40 calories
- While some flavored collagen powders exist, the natural flavor of collagen is super mild, allowing you to dissolve the powder into any mixture without impacting taste. It will add a little thickness to whatever you mix it with, which I think lends nicely to lattes and whipped drinks like smoothies.
Collagen powders we love:
- Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate available at Thrive Market
- Vital Protein’s Organic Collagen Peptides
- Ancient Nutrition’s Vanilla Bone Broth Collagen
Coconut Collagen Latte:
Sweet Almond Collagen Coffee
1. Coconut Collagen Latte
- 2 shots espresso
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp collagen powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
Combine ingredients in a blender. Enjoy promptly and while warm.
2. Sweet Almond Collagen Coffee
- 1 cup fresh coffee
- 2 tbsp collagen powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond or nut milk of choice
- 1/2 tbsp organic honey
In a milk frother or small pot, combine collagen powder nut milk and honey. Whisk or froth until thoroughly mixed and transfer into large mug. Pour 1 cup freshly brewed coffee over collagen milk mixture. Enjoy warm or iced!
(Images by HonestlyFIT)