Life has been insanely lately so I’ve been returning to this easy recipe for healthy fuel that is quick, transportable and tasty. These really simple gluten-free and vegan energy balls are ideal because they are packed with antioxidants, require no baking and pair perfectly with my tea or coffee!
This recipe packs a punch with tons of healthy fats, protein and superfoods like cacao and chia, but since these are no-bake you can really make anything so long as you’ve got a good amount of nuts and dried fruit to bind everything together…
Cherry Cacao Energy Balls
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yields: 12 balls (approximately 130 calories per ball)
Serving size: 1-2 energy balls
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 2/3 cup unsalted almond butter
- 1/2 cup dried, unsweetened cherries or blueberries
- 6 large medjool dates
- 2-3 Tbsp water or nut milk
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp cacao nibs (opt for a nice brand, really makes a difference in taste!)
- 1 Tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- Lightly blend oats in a food processor to the point that they’ve broken down into bits but are not a complete powder. Pour into medium sized bowl and stir in chia seeds, cacao nibs and dried cherries. Set aside.
- Blend dates with 2 Tbsp water until you achieve a paste link consistency. Then add almond butter, vanilla and salt. Blend briefly to incorporate all ingredients.
- Pour wet mixture over dry oats mixture and stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Expect a moist, sticky consistency. If mixture is too dry to hold a ball shape, add the remaining 1 Tbsp of water. If too wet, sprinkle in some more oats, no need to blend them up.
- Use two spoons to scoop mixture into your hands and roll into a ball.
- Place energy balls on plate or glass Tupperware and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes. Energy balls keep for one week when stored in an airtight container in fridge.
You can really enjoy these at any time of day! Sometimes they save me from an afternoon energy slump, and I’ve also been known to have them for a late night snack when my stomach was grumbling at me. Hope you enjoy and share your ingredient modifications with us!
Images and recipe by HonestlyFIT